Maharashtra State - Health Status
India > Maharashtra > Health Status >
Population policy was declared on 8th March 2000 on the eve of the International Mahila Day.
The policy has following features
- Two child family norm
- Prevention of child marriage.
- Prevention of misuse of Pre-natal Sex Determination Act
- Implementation of Births, Deaths and Marriages registration act
- Empowerment of Gram Panchayats
- Recognition to Health Institutions doing quality work
- Steering Committee under Chairmanship of Hon'ble Chief Minister to monitor the Population Policy.
- Rallies and Public gatherings were organized involving the Miss World /Miss Universe for
addressing the Youth about "knowing AIDS and Prevention"
- Skating from Mumbai - Kolhapur, Pune - Kolhapur were organized to draw attention of
people for AIDS control measures
There are International Donor agencies working in the field of health in the state. The World No. of
JNFPA, UNICEF, European Commission, GTZ Health Projects are implemented in various
area of the state.
- Malaria case incidence has come down from 1,58,239 cases to 76,234 cases in 2001
compared to the previous year. Similarly, Filaria cases have come down from 42,748 cases to
- Record Cataract operations of 3,81,929 in1999-2000 and 4,59,721 in 2000-2001 were
- The prevalence of 14.7/10,000 of Leprosy cases in 1991-92 has come down to 3.1 / 10,000.81
- The Mental Health Problems are being given priority and 10 bedded wards are being opened at
every District Hospital
- Heart Surgeries had been the domain of only urban areas and being costly were beyond the
reach of the poor. The issue has been seriously taken up and facilities are being extended to
the District Hospitals through "Jeevandai Yogana".
Medical Education and Indian System of Medicine
The State has following facilities and is leading in addressing the preventive as well as curative
needs of the people.
|| Medical Colleges
||Dental Medical Colleges
||Occupational Therapy Institutions
||Psycho Therapy Institutions
||Audio Therapy units